Perhaps the most basic subject type in the game is the Tributary. This is a loose relationship where the subject is simply looking for protection in exchange for tribute. Unlike most other subject types the subject can at any time cancel a Tributary relationship, the only risk being that the former overlord will get a Casus Belli for the slight on their honor.
- Payment: 25% of income is paid to overlord monthly.
- Requirements: Any country can be a Tributary.
- Special Rules:
- Overlord will protect the subject if it is attacked.
- This relationship does not cost a diplomatic slot.
- The Subject will not join in the wars of the Overlord.
- The Subject cannot be integrated diplomatically.
- The Subject can break the relationship diplomatically.
Guarantees are a relationship through which a powerful country can guarantee the independence of a weaker one. Guarantees take up 1 diplomatic relation. If a guaranteed nation is attacked a call to arms will be issued to the guaranteeing nations. War leadership will transfer from a guaranteed country when its strongest (most populous) protector is called. Once war leadership has transferred, the new warleader can call in their subjects and allies.