- For instructions on how to mod, see Modding
A mod (short for modification) is a user-made alteration of the game. Modifications can range from small tweaks to total conversions.
Important: if a mod is not compatible with achievements, do not load your ironman save with it! Your save well get irreversibly corrupted and become unplayable.
Awlays check the mod description. Some mods are not compatible with each other. If a mod is made for an older version of the game, you can rollback to it on Steam's "Betas" tab:
- right-click the game on Steam, Properties, Betas, choose the version from the drop-down menu.
The mod installation folder is:
Never install mods in the Steam directory (ex:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ImperatorRome\mod\), as the mod would not be properly loaded.
In case of manual installation, the steps are usually the following (refer to specific mod instructions, if any):
- Remove any existing installation of the mod (mod folder and .mod file). This is very important, as the game loads all files present in mod folder, so old mod files that are no longer present or were renamed in a new version of the mod would conflict.
- Clear your gfx cache, by deleting the folder
~\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator\<mod_name>\gfx, if any.
- Extract the downloaded archive, so that the mod folder contains the .mod file and directory of the mod.
- Launch the game and select the mod in the Mod tab. Note that the mod may have a different name in the launcher than the name of the .mod file.
If mods don't work at all
If your Documents folder is not it the default location (C:/Users/), mods will appear in the launcher, but will not work in the game. You will also not have the "Resume" button.
This happens if the Documents folder was moved to a different drive, or if you're using OneDrive or Google Drive.
To fix it you need to edit one text file:
- open the game directory (Right-click on Steam, Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files)
- in the 'game' folder open launcher-settings.json with a notepad
- change gameDataPath to
If this still doesn't help, try using the whole path, like
"F:/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator". Make sure you use forward slashes / and double quotes ".
Launcher-settings.json will be reset with each update, so you will have to repeat this every now and then.
Mods are disabled, but the game is still affected by them
Sometimes you may see the old UI after a new patch or won't be able to join multiplayer, because your checksum is different, even though all mods are disabled.
In this case, try cleaning your mod folder in
- At the moment Paradox Mods is not integrated into the game's launcher, but is planned to be added later. Mods can still be downloaded manually.