- For instructions on how to mod, see Modding
A mod (short for modification) is a user-made alteration of the game. Modifications can range from small tweaks to total conversions.
Installation[edit | edit source]
Mods can be subscribed to and installed automatically from the Steam Workshop or manually from Paradox Mods (game registration needed).
Important: if a mod is not compatible with achievements, do not load your ironman save with it! Your save may well get irreversibly corrupted and become unplayable.
Always check the mod description. Some mods are not compatible with each other. If a mod is made for an older version of the game, you can rollback to it on Steam's "Betas" tab:
- right-click the game on Steam, Properties, Betas, choose the version from the drop-down menu.
The mod installation folder is:
Note: You will not find the actual mod files in this folder if you download mods from Steam, instead it's a small file which contains the name, version and also exactly where the files are located within the folder
Never install mods in the Steam directory (ex:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ImperatorRome\mod\), as the mod would not be properly loaded.
In case of manual installation, the steps are usually the following (refer to specific mod instructions, if any):
- Remove any existing installation of the mod (mod folder and .mod file). This is very important, as the game loads all files present in mod folder, so old mod files that are no longer present or were renamed in a new version of the mod would conflict.
- Clear your gfx cache, by deleting the folder
~\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator\<mod_name>\gfx, if any.
- Extract the downloaded archive, so that the mod folder contains the .mod file and directory of the mod.
- Launch the game and select the mod in the Mod tab. Note that the mod may have a different name in the launcher than the name of the .mod file.
Troubleshooting[edit | edit source]
Mods are crashing / Other strangeness[edit | edit source]
The most common fix is to clean the Imperator documents folder by following the steps below:
- Navigate to your Imperator documents folder here:
- Delete all folders and files, apart from the following folders: mod, logs, save games, and screenshots*.
- Relaunch Imperator and check if your issue is fixed. If not ask on the forums/reddit.
*Those folders can be deleted too without issues, but you may want to keep your saved games, screenshots etc.
Everything in the
~/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/ folder can be safely removed without having to reinstall the game. Confirmed by Paradox in various forum posts, such as here.
These types of crashes or strangeness (e.g. wrong rulers) are often caused by badly scripted mods that generate temporary files into your
~/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/ folder which the game then fails to remove.
If mods don't work at all[edit | edit source]
If your Documents folder is not it the default location (C:/Users/), mods will appear in the launcher, but will not work in the game. You will also not have the "Resume" button.
This happens if the Documents folder was moved to a different drive, or if you're using OneDrive or Google Drive.
To fix it you need to edit one text file:
- open the game directory (Right-click on Steam, Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files)
- in the 'launcher' folder open launcher-settings.json with a notepad
- change gameDataPath to
If this still doesn't help, try using the whole path, like
"F:/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator". Make sure you use forward slashes / and double quotes ".
Mods are disabled, but the game is still affected by them[edit | edit source]
Sometimes you may see the old UI after a new patch or won't be able to join multiplayer, because your checksum is different, even though all mods are disabled.
In this case, try cleaning your mod folder in
List of mods with wiki pages[edit | edit source]
- Age of Iron
- Imperator: Invictus
- Imperator To CK3 Converter
- Imperator To CK2 Converter
- Imperatrix: Victoria
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ At the moment Paradox Mods is not integrated into the game's launcher, but is planned to be added later. Mods can still be downloaded manually.